Tuesday, March 06, 2012

TIM TEBOW: HUMBLEBRAGGER FOR JESUS

When I wrote a Tim Tebow post a couple of months ago, there was some resistance in comments to my assertion that Tebow is self-aggrandizing. Well, he appeared in front of 20,000 people over the weekend at a church in Las Vegas; am I wrong to think he was patting himself on the back there (in a humblebrag sort of way)?

"One of the reasons I get on a knee is because that's a form of humbling yourself," Tebow explained. "I want to humble myself before the Lord and say thank you for this opportunity. Thank you for letting me play the game I love."

The 24-year-old talked about the Bible verses written in the eye black he wears during the game -- he said he was shocked that 94 million people did a Google search for "John 3:16" after he wore it during the 2009 national championship....

And he discussed his visits to orphans, hospitalized children and jails.

He visits death row inmates "just to shake their hand or give them a hug when I'm not supposed to, because the guards get mad, to show them someone still cares and loves them and that God forgives them and still wants a relationship with them. It's one of the coolest things I get to do."


I'll repeat the Bible verse I posted the last time I talked about this guy (Luke 18:10-14):

Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Dude, you want to visit death row inmates? Visit death row inmates. More power to you. But when you boast to a crowd of 20,000 that you visit death row inmates, you're a Pharisee. The God you believe in said he doesn't like Pharisees. So shouldn't you try to be a publican? If your faith system teaches humility, be humble, not a damn humblebragger every time you're in front of a sellout crowd.

(Via Fox Nation.)

5 comments:

BH said...

"Thank you for letting me play the game I love." [Sotto voce: "And thank you even more for seeing to it, along with my agent, that I get paid obscene amounts of money to play the game I love."]

What an inspiration.

DougJ said...

Meh, I still give him a lot of credit for visiting death row inmates. And for talking about it to an audience of people that may not believe that they are worthy of forgiveness.

Steve M. said...

I dunno. I don't see any sacrifice in it, especially if he's thinking, "I'm just like Jesus!" The circumcisions in the third world at least cause him some inconvenience. This is probably just like doing a mall opening, except with a more adoring crowd and a sense that you're earning major Heaven points.

Ten Bears said...

About the same I posted:

"YO! Tebow, what was it Jesus said about puffed-up pontificating pontificaters puffed-up-edly pontificating on street corners? Oh, right, put it in the closet.

Matthew 6:5-6:

When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

You want bonus points for that?

Mt 6:1-3 (just prior to the above). Do it because it’s the right thing to do.

Just because I don't believe in your pig-shit, doesn't mean I don't know more about it than you do. I've actually forgotten more about it than you will ever know."

Roger said...

A Tebow/Manson summit would be epic!

MSNBC could air it live.