Friday, October 03, 2008

PALIN: AN INTERVIEW IS FAIR ONLY IF YOU ASK QUESTIONS I LIKE

Will this woman ever stop whining?

Sarah Palin woke up this morning and gave an interview to (surprise!) Fox News. Raw Story has an excerpt (see the non-YouTube video at the link, which I can't seem to embed) -- and if you think Palin is taking a gracious victory lap in response to all the praise she's been receiving from fellow right-wingers, well, forget it. She's still bitching and moaning about how the evil media (Katie Couric in particular) treated her before the debate:

Well, OK, I'll tell ya honestly. The Sarah Palin in those interviews is a little bit annoyed. Because it's like, man, no matter what you say, you're going to get clobbered. If you choose to answer a question, you're going to get clobbered on the answer. If you choose to try to pivot and go on to another subject that you believe that Americans want to hear about, you get clobbered for that, too.

In other words: It's unfair for anyone to ask tough follow-up questions or criticize my answers, even if (or especially if) those answers are evasive. No matter what I say in an interview, everyone should just like me and applaud me and put a gold star on my forehead. And if I'm evasive, it's because the question I decided to answer was the one I should have been asked.

(Yes, I know -- That's pretty much what she said last night.)

Wait, it gets worse:

But in those Katie Couric interviews, I did feel that there were a lot of things that she was missing in terms of an opportunity to ask what a VP candidate stands for, or what the values are represented in our ticket. I wanted to talk about Barack Obama increasing taxes, which will lead to killing jobs. I wanted to talk about his proposal to increase government spending by another trillion dollars. Some of his comments that he's made about the war that I think made -- in my world, disqualify someone from consideration as the next commander in chief, some of the comments that he's made about Afghanistan, what we're doing there, supposedly just air-raiding villages and killing civilians? That's reckless, and I wanted to talk about things like that. I guess I have to apologize for being a bit annoyed, but that's also an indication of being outside of that Washington elite, outside of the media elite also, and just wanted to talk to Americans without the filter and let 'em know what we stand for.

Apart from her distortions of the facts, and the scurrilous thing she says about Obama as commander in chief, you know what? Palin has every opportunity to talk about these things. She can say all this in her campaign rallies. She can buy TV time and say it in an ad. She can go nuts -- it's a free country.

But the rest of us don't have a moral obligation to stand aside and let her dictate every question she's asked, then dictate everyone's reaction to her answers.

No comments: