Saturday, January 07, 2012

JON HUNTSMAN, GRUMPY NOT-SO-OLD MAN

January 4:

About two hours before Iowans trekked to their caucuses this evening, former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman held what might be seen as a defiant campaign meeting....

And a voter gave him the opening he wanted by asking Huntsman if he had a message for the winner of the Iowa caucuses. "A message for the winner of the Iowa caucuses?" Huntsman asked with a smile. "Welcome to the winner. Nobody cares."


January 4:

On Wednesday, Mr. Huntsman dismissed his Republican rival Mitt Romney's latest endorsement from U.S. Sen. John McCain (R-AZ.)...

"I have great regard for Sen. McCain. I love the man. But it's another example of the establishment piling on. And it seems the more the establishment piles on -- (Bob) Dole, McCain, all the rest -- nobody cares," said Mr. Huntsman....


Today (from a CBS reporter on Twitter):

Huntsman tells me of tnght's debate, which his staffers have said cld make/break him, "Eh, it's just another debate.. nobody cares anymore"

Really? That's his response to everything -- "nobody cares"? What characterization of Huntsman comes to mind when you read that? Angry? Arrogant? Clinically depressed?

Look, I'd be grumpy, too, if I seriously used to think I could win the presidency and then I spent months utterly failing to connect with anyone other than a bunch of elite-media journalists. But if I were Huntsman, by now I'd be back home lounging in front of the fireplace -- I'd have pulled a Pawlenty and quit long ago, before I wasted any more of my time. So my advice to Jon Huntsman is: stop whining and go get a real job.

6 comments:

M. Bouffant said...

Sound advice, except it doesn't appear ol' Jon needs a job, even if billionaire daddy couldn't buy him that Presidentin' thing.

And I do like people saying "nobody cares." We'd be better off if nobody really cared about the Iowa caucuses.

c u n d gulag said...

Jeez - he sounds like a petulant teenager.
Maybe he's going for the youth vote in 2016?

Danp said...

Huntsman is right. While the media treats this campaign as if it were a baseball game, and the only thing that matters is who wins, that's not what most people care about. Even the debates will be covered as though the most important thing is who said "oops" or who attacked whom. It would be nice if there were more discussion of the potential effects of a Romney tax plan or a Ron Paul foreign policy. But nobody cares about the zinger tally as much as the media.

Ten Bears said...

I watched Hunts,am for a bit last night - hey, Planet Earth was on, I only looked during the commercials - and my take is he may be a diamond in the rough, as a lump of coal is a diamond in the rough.

BH said...

I have never understood what reasoning led Huntsman & Co to think he ever had even a remote chance at the GOP nom, given the current state of the GOP & his status as a former ambassador on behalf of the O Admin. Whatever his virtues may be, I'd have serious reservations about someone serving as Pres who was so blind to, or at best dismissive of, political realities. I know, that's exactly the kind of politically-unconcerned animal some MSM types and AE types think to be the cure for our ills, but I think they're effing crazy.

Gunga Dean said...

Get a real job? He had quite a nice real job 'til he quit it to run for prez.