Friday, June 04, 2004

While searching for something else, I discovered that Ted Nugent attended the 2000 Republican convention. Here's an online chat he did from the convention for ABC; here's one he did for CNN.

There isn't much that's particularly surprising in those chats -- y'know, it's mostly just Ted's usual one-note schtick, NRA rhetoric amped up to sound like pro-wrestling trash talk.

But Nugent is also known for some rather indelicate remarks -- I quoted and linked a few here, stuff such as

Foreigners are assholes; foreigners are scum; I don't like 'em; I don't want 'em in this country; I don't want 'em selling me doughnuts; I don't want 'em pumping my gas; I don't want 'em downwind of my life --OK?

Quite a few of these bon mots, of course, came well before the Party of Lincoln extended its welcome to the Nuge.

This year's convention is in New York, a city of immigrants (and also a city where even the Republicans favor gun control). Will Nugent show up? Will he be packing? If someone talks to him after he's done some sightseeing, can we expect a John Rocker moment?

Maybe he should try telling some New Yorkers what he told the readers of that ABC online chat:

I'm a huge, crazed black man from Detroit

I can think of some neighborhoods where that would go over really well.

No comments: