Friday, October 26, 2012

I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE REDUCE THEMSELVES TO A CULTURAL STEREOTYPE

I try to remember that even the people I loathe are human beings, not walking cartoons -- but sometimes it's hard:
Former Republican official: 'You can't be a Christian if you don’t own a gun'

A former Executive Committee member of San Diego's Republican Party, who now heads the Christian Anti-Defamation Commission, recently told Texas churchgoers that "you can’t be a Christian if you don't own a gun."

Speaking to the "Deliver Us From Evil" conference at the Upper Room Church in Keller, Texas earlier this week, Dr. Gary Cass explained that America had a "broken moral compass" ....

"By the way, I've got a whole sermon, you can't be a Christian if you don't own a gun," he added. "That preaches in Texas, don't it?"

"You have not just a right not bear arms, you have a duty. How can you protect yourself, your family or your neighbor if you don't have a gun? If I'm supposed to love my neighbor and I can't protect him, what good am I?"
Right Wing Watch has lots more about Cass. I'll just point out that he has produced flyers attacking Islam and accusing Ayatollah Khomeini of having sex with a four-year-old girl, which he handed out at a California high school. He also urged parents not to let their kids watch Barack Obama's inaugural in 2008, calling it "The Flamboyant Homosexual Inaugural" because a gay minister and choir were featured. Oh, and he attacked the Pope for removing words critical of Jews from Good Friday prayers.

In other words, basically your average religious-right loon.

4 comments:

Jonas said...

What would Jesus pack?

Victor said...

Jesus Christ's 'Sermon on the Mount, So You Can Command the High Ground' - at least according to the American Evangelicals:
'Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.

Lo, that is not enough.

So I say unto you, That ye resist evil, which will be determined by the man at the pulput of your church - and whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to shoot him is his asscheeks, first the one, then the other. Then goeth thee for the head kill-shot. Can I get an "Amen?"'

I suspect more of our American Evangelicals have read Ayn Rand, than have read the New Testament.

BH said...

I suspect most of our American Evangelicals have read very little of either, or of anything else since the advent of television. With the possible exception of masterpieces like the "Left Behind" tripe.

Roger said...

"You have not just a right not bear arms, you have a duty."

WTF?