The NRA and all the gun fetishists in America are at Defcon-1 right now, as are many of your favorite media crazies -- Jim Hoft, Dana Loesch, Breitbart.com, Fox Nation -- because of this:
Missouri Democrats introduced an anti-gun bill which would turn law-abiding firearm owners into criminals. They will have 90 days to turn in their guns if the legislation is passed....IT'S HAPPENING!!!!!!!1!!!! THEY'RE COMING FOR YOUR GUNS!!!!111!!!!!11!!!!!!!!! LOCK AND LOAD!!!!!!!!11!11!!!!!
Here’s part of the Democratic proposal in Missouri:
4. Any person who, prior to the effective date of this law, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine shall have ninety days from such effective date to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution:
(1) Remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from the state of Missouri;
(2) Render the assault weapon permanently inoperable; or
(3) Surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the appropriate law enforcement agency for destruction, subject to specific agency regulations.
5. Unlawful manufacture, import, possession, purchase, sale, or transfer of an assault weapon or a large capacity magazine is a class C felony.
Um ... except that (as a calm, rational news report from Missouri notes) this bill will never become law:
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- A bill proposed Thursday in the Missouri House of Representatives is "meaningless" with "no chance" of becoming law. That has not prevented an avalanche of attention from quickly forming....Note to Democrats: Don't do this. Please.
It has, according to Missouri lawmakers whom KY3 reached on Thursday, a less-than-remote chance of becoming law.
"The bill's sponsor has a better chance of being the next Pope," texted Rep. Eric Burlison, R - Springfield.
"Impossible. No way. It has no chance of passing either chamber," said Sen. Bob Dixon, R - Springfield.
"Not only will it never become law, it will never even get debated. It will never even get referred to a committee," said [Rep. Lincoln] Hough [R - Springfield]. "Most bills at least get referred to committee. This won't."
... Lawmakers say this bill goes so far that it does not have measurable support from hardly anyone in either party.
"The Seconnd Amendment has ardent supporters on both sides of the aisles," said Hough....
Seriously -- if you file a bill like this just for the satisfaction of doing so, you accomplish absolutely nothing ... except for arousing the anger and paranoia of large numbers of easily enraged and riled-up gun owners, who will respond by redoubling their efforts (rhetorical and monetary) in support of The Sacred Cause Of The Holy Gun. It tells every one of them -- and they all believe this -- that any baby step anywhere in America in the direction of gun control is a first step on an inexorable path to confiscation of every privately owned firearm in America. Let me repeat: They all think our ultimate goal is total disarmament. Don't be an idiot and give them supporting evidence for that notion.