Tuesday, May 01, 2007

I just checked back to May 2003 to see what I was posting in response to Operation Flight Suit, and I see that a few days later I linked this Wall Street Journal op-ed by Lisa Schiffren, whose resume has taken her from writing for Dan Quayle to writing for Rick Santorum:

Hey, Flyboy
Women voters agree: President Bush is a hottie!


I had the most astonishing thought last Thursday. After a long day of hauling the kids to playdates and ballet, I turned on the news. And there was the president, landing on the deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln, stepping out of a fighter jet in that amazing uniform, looking--how to put it?--really hot. Also presidential, of course. Not to mention credible as commander in chief. But mostly "hot," as in virile, sexy and powerful....


Schiffren said she found quite a few moms on the East Side of Manhattan who agreed -- in (gulp) no uncertain terms:

Alexandra, an unmarried event planner in her 30s, e-mailed: "Hot? SO HOT!!!!! THAT UNIFORM!" ... Suzi, who did her mom time and now writes biographies, also began with restraint. I asked, casually, what she thought about President Bush. She answered, carefully, "He's so confident. He is a very credible, trustworthy leader." "Yeah," I pursue, "but do you think he's sexy?" "Oh God, yes," she said. "I mean, that swagger. George Bush in a pair of jeans is a treat to watch." ...

(Do you suppose any of these women have ever met Thomas Friedman's cab drivers?)

Fortunately, because Republicans are involved, all this must be done within limits, says Schiffren:

... the thing about George that makes it hard for anyone's fantasies to run amok is that there is reason to believe that the only one who is going to know what all this heat is worth is Laura.

I think I have to wash my brain out after reading that.

No comments: