Thursday, February 24, 2011

WELL, AS LONG AS WE'RE FIGHTING AT THIS INFANTILE LEVEL...

Some people must have a lot of time on their hands, because attention is actually being paid to this post from a right-wing blog:

Go Figure: Obama White House Can't Spell "Libya"

Well, I may now know why President Obama took so long to talk about the revolts in Libya: his advisors and press people simply cannot spell the country's name. I mean, it's five whole letters! No one can figure that out:



Wow -- an online communication by a president misspells "Libya"! I bet that's never happened before!

Oops -- sorry, I misspoke:


As Doug Mataconis notes, the misspelling was corrected (in a follow-up tweet) within a half hour. The misspelling in the now-archived transcript of the 2004 Bush speech hasn't been corrected in six-plus years.

But really, who cares? I want the Web lackeys for my president to be careful, but, much as I loathe the last president, even I'm not going to give him a hard time for one lousy misspelling on his White House site.

I've had a head for spelling since I was a kid (my fingers are another matter, as ought to be obvious to regular readers of this blog), but plenty of bright people are lousy spellers, and nearly all bright people make mistakes.

It doesn't matter. Give it a rest. Find something real to complain about.

No comments: