Monday, January 31, 2011

HEY, WHAT'S THAT NICE MIKE HUCKABEE UP TO?

Politico tells us that he just made a speech in Israel. It apparently wasn't a particularly alarming speech (he said the situation in Egypt "could threaten the world"), but I notice that said this:

"I cannot imagine as an American being told that I could not live in certain places in America because I was Christian, or because I was white, or because I spoke English. I would be outraged if someone told me that in my country, I would be prohibited and forbidden to live in a part of that country, for any reason."

Um, he does realize that plenty of Americans were legally prohibited from living in certain places in America because of their skin color or religion for the first thirteen years of his life, doesn't he? (And effectively prohibited long after that?)

The Jerusalem Post reports that on this, Huck's 13th visit to Israel, he was accompanied to a cornerstone-laying ceremony at an East Jerusalem cemetery by Jon Voight. (Entertainers in politics? OK if you're a Republican.) Huckabee presumably joined forces with Voight because Voight published this open letter to President Obama in The Washington Times last June:

President Obama:

You will be the first American president that lied to the Jewish people, and the American people as well, when you said that you would defend Israel, the only Democratic state in the Middle East, against all their enemies. You have done just the opposite. You have propagandized Israel, until they look like they are everyone’s enemy -- and it has resonated throughout the world. You are putting Israel in harm’s way, and you have promoted anti-Semitism throughout the world....


For good measure, Voight added in the same letter that the Obama administration's legal actions against the state's 2010 immigration law had "brought to Arizona a civil war."

But don't worry about his friends, because Mike Huckabee is just so nice, isn't he?

No comments: