Monday, November 21, 2005

Last week, in response to a post at Blah3 that said,

But for all the talk we hear about how brilliant Bush's spin team is, they have one fatal flaw - they believe that the more they talk, the more people will come around to their point of view

Atrios made a good point:

I actually don't think this is Bush's spin team. I think this is Bush. This is "I won this election so I'm all grown up now and I get to do the presidenting my way and I'm the president and I know what's best and if other people disagree it's because they're stupid and I need to keep explaining until they're smart." It comes out of Bush's unwavering belief in his own rightness.

I think that's true, but I also suspect that there's one person who's perfectly happy to pitch in:

The Bush administration will keep punching back at Iraq war critics today.

Vice President Cheney delivers another speech in Washington this morning, defending the decision to invade Iraq in 2003. Last week, Cheney shook off allegations that prewar intelligence had been trumped up as "one of the most dishonest and reprehensible charges ever aired" in Washington....


Perhaps Cheney's just being a good soldier, doing what he's been told to do -- but my gut tells me that Cheney does what he chooses to do, and doesn't take orders from Junior that way. And surely this is not intended to distract from charges that Cheney is the VP of Torture, or speculation that the trail Patrick Fitzgerald is following leads to his office; the speeches Cheney is making remind people of precisely these things.

No, I think Cheney's out there snarlingly defending the war simply because he's a guy who takes pride in his work.

No comments: