Wednesday, December 16, 2015

JEB'S IDEA OF A SICK BURN: HEY, REMEMBER THAT OBSCURE THING DONALD TRUMP SAID FOUR MONTHS AGO?

Bloomberg singles out a moment from last night's debate:
The back-and-forth between [Jeb Bush and Donald Trump] ... at times took on a a so's-your-mother quality.

"I won't get my information from the shows. I don't know if that's Saturday morning or Sunday morning," Bush said, in an apparent suggestion that Trump has been watching too many cartoons.
There's a similar explanation at the Daily Caller:
GOP hopefull and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush attacked frontrunner Donald Trump for getting his foreign policy advice from “the shows.”

“I won’t get my information from ‘the shows,'” Bush said. “I don’t know if that’s Saturday morning or Sunday morning. I don’t know which one.”

To reiterate the point, Jeb’s official Twitter account sent out the following tweet:

How many debate viewers do you suppose had any idea what Jeb was talking about? Most people remember Trump's insults of John McCain and Megyn Kelly. Most people know that he's proposed banning entry of all Muslims into the U.S. and promised to "bomb the shit out of" ISIS. A lot of Trump's pronouncements and bloviations are memorable, sometimes months after the fact. But apart from appalled lefty bloggers (and blog readers) and Jeb Bush's research team, who remembers this moment from four months ago?
From this Sunday's Meet the Press:
[CHUCK] TODD: Who do you talk to for military advice right now?

TRUMP: Well, I watch the shows. I mean, I really see a lot of great... you know, when you watch your show, and all of the other shows, and you have the generals, and you have certain people you like.
No ordinary Republican voter in December remembers that Trump said that in August.

Jeb is like the guy who thinks of the perfect comeback to an insult two days later and actually confronts the insulter in order to deliver the comeback, except this is four months later, and the target of the comeback probably doesn't even remember what he said -- and the supposedly clever twist in the comeback is so obscure that it has to be explained.

Jeb, give it up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The jerk store called, they're all out of you!"

Arthur Mervyn said...

(Appropriate Seinfeld reference, flipyrwhig!)

I didn't remember Trump saying that (since I don't pay much attention to what he says), but I thought Jeb's joke was kind of funny. Trump's a TV personality and so he might get his information from Saturday morning cartoons. But I get your point that it was a feeble effort on Jeb's part.

I hope Jeb--having to debate Trump, Carson, and some of the other candidates--is gaining a greater appreciation of how Al Gore felt debating George W. (And I'm not putting Jeb in the same league as Al Gore; Jeb is as bad as any of the Bushes.)

Ten Bears said...

Thank you flip, for illustrating Steve's point. Only jerk-offs know jerks. And vote for them.

Though I must admit I would rather have Mickey Mouse advising on military matters than Dick Cheney and his gang of Mossad terrorists.

Yastreblyansky said...

Vote JEB! "All the candidates have ideas, but I have Treppenwitz!"

Steve M. said...

Nice.

Alex said...

First thing I thought was, there haven't been Saturday cartoons in years