Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I gave undeserved attention last fall to the right-wing children's book Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed, and I probably shouldn't repeat that error, but I've been reading some of the promo material for the sequel and I just want to point out a few things:

* Help! Mom! Hollywood's in My Hamper! is a dumb, stilted, un-childlike title. If you have a kid who uses the word "Hollywood" this way, you're raising a freak.

* I'm deeply suspicious of the fact that the first Help! Mom! book shot to the top of two online bookstores' bestseller lists, but never, as far as I know, made any print bestseller list (e.g., the ones in USA Today and The New York Times). Is it true what they say -- that online bestseller lists are easy to game?

* As parody names go, most of the following are not worthy of Cracked, much less Mad: Daisy Snears, Rayonna, Barbara Buttersand, Sean Penny, Oh! Prah, Ben Aflac, Larry Queen, Whoopie, "Toenailology" Tom, Katie Curtain, and Michael Maroon. Really -- "Toenailology"? (And Aflac should sue.)

* Re "Daisy Snears": Britney Spears is a Bush supporter. (Don't take my word for it -- ask the Chicago Sun-Times, The Washington Times, or CNN. ("I think we should just trust our president in every decision that he makes and we should just support that," Spears told a CNN interviewer, in reference to the Iraq War.)

* Being a self-hating homosexual who belongs to a litigious cult religion that would withhold needed medical care from people experiencing devastating mental illness is not left-wing. If you're not sure which celebrity I'm referring to, there are many liberals who would be happy to explain. (I'd tell you myself, but I don't feel like getting sued.)

* What's next? Help! Mom! I Just Heard Rap Music and Liked It -- Should I Kill Myself Before I Turn into a Liberal?

No comments: