Saturday, May 21, 2011

RAPTURE FAIL: THERE ARE A LOT OF OTHER RELIGIOUS KOOKS I WISH IT HAD HAPPENED TO

So everyone's still here -- the apocalypse never happened. I'm feeling a lot less schadenfreude than you'd think. See, I've actually heard a number of Harold Camping broadcasts in the last couple of years, and he infuriates me a lot less than preachers whose focus is life on earth, specifically life in America, and the best way to impose right-wing theocracy (or just plain old secular wingnuttery) here. Wy couldn't this have happened to Pat Robertson or David Barton or John Hagee or any of several dozen prominent Christian rightists? I'd be thrilled to see those guys with egg on their faces. (Glenn Beck? What about him?)

But see, this would never happen to any of them, because however many kooky pronouncements those guys make, they never take their eyes off the terrestrial prize. Harold Camping, by contrast, really lost himself in this. On his radio show he almost exclusively devotes himself to super-close readings of specific Bible verses -- I know from The New York Times that he's anti-gay, but I never heard him talk on the radio about this or any other social issue. I'd really be happier if this had become a millstone around the neck of someone who specifically hates me and you and everyone who thinks like us, and spreads that hate for a living. And there's a long list of people like that.

Meanwhile, here's a song you've probably heard too many times in the past few days already, except Here it's mashed up with Mr. Apocalyptic himself, Jim Morrison. (Hat tip: Dangerous Minds.)

:

No comments: