Saturday, September 13, 2008

RIGHT-WINGERS LYING AGAIN: "EDITED" PARTS OF PALIN INTERVIEW WERE BROADCAST

Right now, right-wing bloggers are working the refs by proclaiming that the mean old liberal media edited the Sarah Palin interview to make Sarah Palin look uninformed. The NewsBusters story says:

A transcript of the unedited interview of Sarah Palin by Charles Gibson clearly shows that ABC News edited out crucial portions of the interview that showed Palin as knowledgeable or presented her answers out of context.

I can't prove this, but anyone who TiVo'd all of the first three broadcasts -- all of which I saw in real time -- can confirm what I'm going to tell you: At least some of what NewsBusters says was deleted was, in fact, broadcast -- on Good Morning America yesterday morning.

I watched Thursday's broadcast of World News Tonight, Thursday's Nightline, and the Palin interview on GMA on Friday. The foreign policy questions appeared on all three broadcasts -- but each edit was different. I don't know why ABC did this -- I assume it's to make sure each show had something new, like releasing several different DVDs of a movie, each with one or two new "special features."

In any event, I can tell you with 100% certainty that I saw the "edited out" trade representative passage that leads the NewsBusters report on GMA (though not, admittedly, on WNT or Nightline):

GIBSON: Have you ever met a foreign head of state?

PALIN: There in the state of Alaska, our international trade activities bring in many leaders of other countries.

GIBSON: And all governors deal with trade delegations.

PALIN: Right.

GIBSON: Who act at the behest of their governments.

PALIN: Right, right.

GIBSON: I'm talking about somebody who's a head of state, who can negotiate for that country. Ever met one?


PALIN: I have not and I think if you go back in history and if you ask that question of many vice presidents, they may have the same answer that I just gave you. But, Charlie, again, we've got to remember what the desire is in this nation at this time. It is for no more politics as usual and somebody's big, fat resume maybe that shows decades and decades in that Washington establishment, where, yes, they’ve had opportunities to meet heads of state....


If ABC was concealing this out of a nefarious desire to make Palin look bad, why put it on GMA?

I'm sure I saw other "edited" parts of this as well.

I predicted on Monday that Gibson would be tougher than most people expected (which was true) and that there would be an attempt by pro-McCain forces to declare Palin the victim of biased journalism after the interview.

That's exactly what's happening right now.

No comments: