Wednesday, March 12, 2003

This was posted recently on a Web board by someone who works on surveys for a media-affiliated polling outfit:

... I have to say that what I found most interesting about the actual polling this time was the extraordinary increase in naked hostility I got from pro-war people, both the ones who consented to do the poll (sometimes while expressing disgust with the "obvious liberal slant" of such questions as "Do you approve or disapprove of using military action to remove Saddam Hussein from power?") and those--and they were legion--who called me a motherfucker or worse after I told them who I was working for and slammed down the phone. Perhaps surprisingly, I really haven't been getting that much of this sort of thing since 9/11, which perhaps reflects the mellow mood that finding themselves at one with the zeitgeist had put many arch-conservatives in. At the risk of reading too much into one (very big) change, I suspect that the Angry White Men have been seeing enough TV coverage of anti-war protesters and lily-livered UN'ers and reading enough squishy editorials to start to feel beleaguered again. I'm not sure whether this a good thing, a bad thing, or neither.

I think it's a bad thing -- you have an honest debate in a free society and these guys think it's a personal attack on them.

No comments: