Wednesday, November 05, 2008

GIRDING THEIR LOINS, IGNORANTLY

Lucianne.com urges the devastated base to read Tony Blankley's latest column:

To Conservatives Who Are Thinking About Tomorrow

Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire.
I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green & pleasant Land.

In regard to attitude, America's conservatives could do worse than to be moved by those lines of Robert Blake from another place and another time on behalf of a similar sacred cause then not yet realized....


Er, Tony? That was written by the poet William Blake, not by Robert Blake, the actor and alleged murderer.

William Blake.
Robert Blake.

Got it now?

****

Meanwhile, National Review's Byron York just wants to keep the base ignorant:

... in spite of it all, McCain still managed to outperform conditions. The vote totals, as of 2 a.m. Eastern Time, show McCain with about 47 percent of the national popular vote. Perhaps that figure will go down a bit, but there's no doubt that McCain far outshone George H.W. Bush's 1992 re-election effort -- a campaign undertaken in poor conditions for a Republican, but not nearly as bad as what McCain encountered this time -- in which Bush won just 38 percent of the vote. Likewise, McCain outperformed Bob Dole, who won a little less than 41 percent in 1996....

In other words, McCain, facing tougher challenges than his predecessors, yet somehow managed to win more votes. Just not enough.


Yup -- and that had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that the '92 election included a billionaire third-party right-wing candidate who got nearly 19% of the vote, or that in '96 the same rich right-winger got more than 8% of the vote. Right, Byron?

No comments: