Friday, January 02, 2004

Well, this is nice:

Country music icon Willie Nelson has written a Christmas song with an edge -- a protest against the war in Iraq that he hopes will stir passions in those who hear it.

Nelson, 70, told Reuters on Wednesday he wrote "Whatever Happened to Peace on Earth" after watching the news on Christmas Day and will play it in Austin, Texas on Saturday at a concert to benefit Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich....

The song opens with the line "How much oil is one human life worth?" and swings into the chorus: "Hell they won't lie to me/ Not on my own damn TV/ But how much is a liar's word worth/ And whatever happened to peace on earth?" ...


Good old Willie -- he did the pro-vigilante "Beer for My Horses" with Toby "Angry American" Keith, but he's back with us again.

(Incidentally, while I was in New Mexico I heard a rumor -- I'm not sure how credible it is -- that Dennis Kucinich might run for president as a Green if he doesn't get the Democratic nomination. For what it's worth, New Mexico will choose Democratic delegates on February 3 and a fair number of Greens in the state are re-registering as Dems, possibly to vote for Kucinich. But the candidate who's most visible is Wesley Clark -- he's got a fairly snazzy TV ad, which I saw a couple of times, and he's got some road signs out on the highways.)

No comments: