Wednesday, August 22, 2018

I SHOULD START COMMITTING CRIMES, BECAUSE ORRIN HATCH SAYS I CAN'T HELP IT

The New York Times says that Orrin Hatch, like most Republicans in Congress, is unfazed by Donald Trump's conduct. Hatch says that, given Trump's place of origin, it's clear that he just can't help himself, or at least he couldn't until recently:
“Eight years ago to 10 years ago, Trump was not what I consider to be a pillar of virtue,” said Senator Orrin G. Hatch of Utah, the senior Republican member of the Senate. “I think he has changed a lot of his life once he was elected. I think Trump is a much better person today than he was then.”

Mr. Hatch continued: “I think most people in this country realize that Donald Trump comes from a different world. He comes from New York City, he comes from a slam-bang, difficult world. It is amazing he is as good as he is....”
I've been in New York City for more than forty years and, apart from an unremarkable period of controlled-substance use in my youth, I've never committed a crime. But now I learn from Senator Hatch that my fellow New Yorkers and I can't help but commit crimes, or at least can't help but engage in morally reprehensible behavior. It's not our fault! We live in a slam-bang world!

I think I'm going to start committing crimes now. If I get caught, I plan to call Senator Hatch as a character witness.

No comments: