Friday, May 22, 2009

TOBY HARNDEN, KISS MY GOTHAM-DWELLING ASS

I haven't even gotten to #2 on a list by The Telegraph's Toby Harnden of "the 10 punches Dick Cheney landed on Barack Obama's jaw" and already I know the pink-cheeked Limey is full of crap. Here's #1:

1. "I've heard occasional speculation that I'm a different man after 9/11. I wouldn't say that, but I'll freely admit that watching a coordinated, devastating attack on our country from an underground bunker at the White House can affect how you view your responsibilities."

Anyone who was in New York or Washington on 9/11 (I was here in DC) was profoundly affected and most Americans understand this. Obama was, as far as I can tell, in Chicago. His response - he was then a mere state senator for liberal Hyde Park - was startlingly hand-wringing and out of step with how most Americans were feeling....


Yeah? Really? Obama's reaction -- failing to prostrate himself before Cheney and Bush and say, "Oh, great manly men, thank you for doing the dirty deeds necessary to keep us safe" -- is out of step with the reaction of those who lived in the locations that were hit?

Then explain to me why John Kerry got 82% of the vote in 2004 in Manhattan, where the Twin Towers were located, and 75% of the vote in Brooklyn, where debris from the Towers landed, as well as more than 70% of the vote in the Bronx and Queens. Explain to me why Kerry got 89% of the vote in D.C. Oh, and the vote for Obama in those affected areas was even more lopsided.

Screw you, Limey. I live as well as work in Manhattan. You don't even live in the D.C. city limits. When the wind blew north a couple of days after 9/11, I had the windows open and I smelled the toxic aftermath in my apartment.

Yet I've never had the slightest desire to lick Dick Cheney's boots. And the vast majority of my neighbors would tell you the same thing. And we voted for Obama and Kerry in the firm belief that they felt the same way.

****

UPDATE: Harnden tweets:

Was in downtown DC on 9/11 btw. Moved to VA 12/08.

If "Was in" means "Lived in," then point taken -- though my main point still stands.

And, um -- 12/08? A month after the election? Just a coincidence -- or a terrified flight in anticipation of the rampaging super-terrorist hordes expected during the reign of B. Hussein Osama?

No comments: