Thursday, April 08, 2004

Well, I was wrong -- I don't see an obvious soundbite in Rice's opening statement.

I thought there'd be more said to the families -- The New York Times said yesterday, "In her opening statement, Ms. Rice is expected to speak directly to the survivors of those killed in the Sept. 11 attacks," and wow, she really poured her heart out to them:

Many families of the victims are here today, and I thank them for their contributions to the Commission's work.

I've only read the transcript, but I bet there wasn't a dry eye in the house after that.

The rest is just what we should have expected -- a spirited defense of the Bush theory that it's better to have a big, broad, bold plan that takes a long time to get off the ground and accomplishes none of its goals than to be like, y'know, Clinton.

No comments: