Friday, October 26, 2007

ONE MORE REASON THEY DON'T LIKE HUCKABEE

At Pat Robertson's Web site, CBN anchor Lee Webb explains that Mike Huckabee isn't the religious right's dream candidate because he isn't the religious right's dream theologian:

... John Fund, writing in the Opinion Journal of WSJ.com... quotes former Texas judge, Paul Pressler ... "I know of no conservative (Huckabee) appointed while he headed the Arkansas Baptist Convention."

That reminded me of a story I reported more than ten years ago on The 700 Club. It involved Huckabee's refusal to sign a bill that described natural disasters like tornadoes and floods as "acts of God." The New York Times quoted Governor Huckabee as saying that signing the legislation "would be violating my own conscience" inasmuch as it described "a destructive and deadly force as being 'an act of God.' "

In an attempt to explain his actions, Huckabee said, "I feel that I have indeed witnessed many 'acts of God,' but I see His actions in the miraculous sparing of life, the sacrifice and selfless spirit in which so many responded to the pain of others." That sounds to me like the kind of sweet, shallow, feel-good theology that drove me away from the liberal denomination in which I was raised....


Hullabaloo's tristero and the Daily Howler's Bob Somerby have raised important points about serious omissions in the Gail Collins column that appeared in yesterday's New York Times, which argued that Huckabee's support for education and children's health programs is costing him religious-right votes -- but whatever the flaws of that column, Collins isn't crazy to think that some religious conservatives may be steering clear of Huckabee at least in part because they think he's a squish. That certainly seems to be the message of this piece by one of Pat Robertson's mouthpieces.

No comments: