Monday, December 15, 2003

The front page of today's New York Daily News screams,

WE BAG THE BUM!

I'm shocked that I can find no online confirmation of this, but I'm certain that I've seen this tabloid headline before -- I've been chuckling over it and quoting it to people for years. As I recall, it first appeared after the capture of Manuel Noriega.*

Which is interesting because back then, under a president named Bush, we worried about the scourge of drugs almost the way we now, under a president named Bush, worry about the scourge of terrorism. And it may not have been said in so many words, but we were led to believe that the capture of Noriega was a huge victory in the war on drugs.

Remember how, after Noriega was captured, no one in this country used illegal drugs ever again?

No, I don't remember it either.

---------

*Actually, it wasn't Noriega -- see this update.

No comments: