From Publishers Lunch:
It’s a whole new world when Nielsen Bookscan updates become a weekly headline feature on the Drudge Report! Today’s posting:
1. HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX 2,007,990 (YTD: 5,916,994)
2. EAST OF EDEN 119,222 (YTD: 261,478)
3. LIVING HISTORY 106,658 (YTD: 715,061)
4. TREASON (Ann Coulter) 68,854 (YTD: 69,576)
A few thoughts about this:
* If Drudge posted this, he didn't post it for very long -- I never saw it. Was the news that a brand-new Ann Coulter book was outsold by a weeks-old, poorly reviewed Hillary Clinton book too embarrassing for the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy?
* Coulter did sell a good number of books, however -- real bar-code-scanned books to real buyers. So we can't smugly assume that if a right-wing book is on the bestseller list, it's because a cash-rich foundation bought all the copies up.
* But Hillary's book is still a far bigger hit.
* And if, as I noted last week, Nielsen's system tracks only 65% of total book sales in the U.S., scanned sales of 715,061 suggest total sales of 1,100,094. Isn't it time for Tucker Carlson to fire up the barbecue and start grilling those items of clothing he promised to eat if Hill cracked a mill?
(By the way, East of Eden is the first selection of the newly revived Oprah's Book Club.)