Wednesday, September 26, 2018

SO NOW HE'S SAYING HE WAS A CHOIRBOY WHO OCCASIONALLY DRANK TOO MUCH

In his prepared statement for tomorrow's hearing, Brett Kavanaugh will say:
But I was not perfect in those days, just as I am not perfect today. I drank beer with my friends, usually on weekends. Sometimes I had too many.
Hallelujah -- Kavanaugh admits he drank beer in high school. National Review's Charles C.W. Cooke would like you to believe that Kavanaugh already admitted that in his Fox News interview, but he didn't:
KAVANAUGH: ... yes, there were parties. And the drinking age was 18, and yes, the seniors were legal and had beer there. And yes, people might have had too many beers on occasion and people generally in high school – I think all of us have probably done things we look back on in high school and regret or cringe a bit, but that’s not what we’re talking about.
Not only did he never say that he "might have had too many beers on occasion," but he never expressly said that he drank at all in high school, as if he wanted wiggle room in case a Southern Baptist might withhold support knowing that spirits had crossed his lips before he reached adulthood.

So he's now boldly acknowledging that all the references to kegs and ralphing in his high school yearbook allude to activities with which he may have had a passing acquaintance. Great -- small steps. But in his new statement, he's still telling us he's a choirboy:
I spent most of my time in high school focused on academics, sports, church, and service....

The record of my life, from my days in grade school through the present day, shows that I have always promoted the equality and dignity of women.
Dude, really? You "promoted the equality and dignity of women" in grade school?

Why are you incapable of dialing down this whitewashing of yourself?

In the Fox interview, Kavanaugh went only slightly further:
When I was in high school — and I went to an all-boys Catholic high school, a Jesuit high school, where I was focused on academics and athletics, going to church every Sunday at Little Flower, working on my service projects, and friendship, friendship with my fellow classmates and friendship with girls from the local all-girls Catholic schools.
A serious question: Can Kavanaugh provide any evidence that he was deeply focused on "service projects" in high school? Can he provide evidence of any significant platonic friendship with a girl? There's no shame in being unable to do either of these things. All by themselves, they shouldn't disqualify him from a seat on the Supreme Court.

But he continues to insist that he was the perfect young man, or the nearly perfect young man who occasionally had a brewski too many. Why won't he stop doing this?

No comments: