Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I had a post yesterday about the unexpected laughs at Hillary Clinton's Iowa appearance when she paraphrased an audience member's question about "what in my background equips me to deal with evil and bad men." I thought her ability to roll with the surprise laughter came off well (to the surprise, and probably the dismay, of at least one right-wing blogger), and I said something in comments that I should have added to the post:

...eventually right-wingers are going to say Evil Clever Hillary said this deliberately, as a sneaky way to try to put the adultery question behind her.

Well, here's Jon Keller, blogging about New Hampshire primary polls for the CBS affiliate in Boston:

You don't often find yourself talking about Sen. Clinton and humor in the same sentence.

But when you see Hillary bonding with her audience by poking fun at her wayward husband, you know the heavy image-making machinery is already in high gear.

"We face a lot of evil men, people like Osama Bin Laden comes to mind. And what in my backgroun equips me to deal with evil and bad men?" joked Clinton.

You go, girl!


Oh, good grief.

Look, I believe that the line reminded the audience members of Bill, and that's why they laughed. And I believe Hillary grasped the unintended meaning of the words. But give me a break -- she clearly didn't invoke Bill deliberately.

Oh, what am I talking about? She's the Psycho Lesbian Witch from Hell! Of course she invoked him deliberately! What a sinister, evil genius she is!

No comments: