Sunday, December 24, 2006

HAPPY HOLS

Well, that's it for me for the year -- there'll be guest bloggers here, but I'm heading out of town. I'll see you next year. Thanks to everyone who read, commented, linked, put me on online radio.... You rock! Even the trolls! (Yeah, I've had a couple of drinks tonight.)

Meanwhile, I'll leave you with some seasonal entertainment:


I just stumbled on this. It's part 2 of a 1959 movie in which Santa battles Satan for control of the souls of the world's children. In this clip, Satan's subordinate devils do interpretive dance in Hell (and who hasn't wanted to do that?). Right-wingers: This is not a documentary.


This is a fine old R&B song from 1957. And hey, don't take my word for it -- Bob Dylan was playing it on his radio show on Wednesday. (The video is less sublime, though it's not bad; it was made by Some Guy With A Computer, who I understand was Time's Person of the Year this year.) I think the song is a bit geographically challenged on the country of origin of the mambo, but regardless, I hope it upsets Fox News commentators.


The Pogues, man. This chokes me up -- it's definitely my favorite modern Christmas song. Plus, it's a story about immigrants whose behavior falls short of perfection. HEY, DON'T LET THOSE DAMN IRISH IN THE COUNTRY! IF YOU DO, YOU MARK MY WORDS, NEXT THING YOU KNOW ONE OF THEM WILL BE PRESIDENT! TAKING HIS OATH OF OFFICE ON A CATHOLIC BIBLE!

See you next year....

No comments: