Sunday, November 05, 2006

Shorter Michael Kinsley in today's New York Times Book Review:

Anyone who doesn't think the Supreme Court stole the 2000 election for Bush is crazy. And anyone who thinks Kenneth Blackwell stole Ohio for Bush in 2004 is crazy.

I'm not kidding. Kinsley on 2000:

Call me bitter: I am not over it and don’t want to be over it. I still find it shocking that democracy was so openly subverted, and even more shocking that so few others seem to share my shock.

Kinsley on 2004:

Now and here on out, every election will come with a theory of how the winner stole it (just as, since Vietnam, every war now comes with a medical “syndrome” for soldiers to sue over).

... the whole stolen-election-2004 indictment has that echo-chamber sound of people having soul-searching conversations with each other. Richard Hofstadter's "paranoid style," exhibited mainly on the right when he coined the term in the 1960's, seems to have been adopted by the left, as Nicholas Lemann recently pointed out in The New Yorker.


I guess this is more of that vital new centrist eclecticism all the cool kids say is sweeping American politics.

No comments: