Thursday, February 16, 2006

When both Bob Herbert and Peggy Noonan are suggesting that it might be a good idea for Dick Cheney to resign, it starts seeming like a change that could actually happen.

But we should be careful what we wish for. If Cheney goes (I'd be really surprised if he does), my guess is that he'll be replaced by Condi Rice. That could give the persistently unpopular Bush administration a real boost.

I know a lot of you doubt this. You think it's impossible because she's a black woman. Please -- take a look at how well Rice polls, in survey after survey. In polls from CNN/USA Today/Gallup, Pew, and Quinnipiac, she has an approval rating over 60%.

America likes her -- or at least America doesn't dislike her. White America, I'm convinced, likes itself for admiring her.

I'm not saying racism has been wiped out in America. I'm saying that it's gone neotraditional. Whites still believe racial stereotypes -- what's changed is that they're willing (I'd say eager) to admire blacks who, in their eyes, don't live up to those stereotypes. Colin Powell and Oprah Winfrey. On the right, Alan Keyes and Clarence Thomas. The Maryland GOP is running an African-American candidate for Senate and the Pennsylvania GOP is running an African-American for governor. See? We like these blacks. We're not racist!

Bonus fun for right-wingers would be the opportunity to portray liberals and Democrats as racists and sexists, as they've done in the past.

Cheney may as well stay, as far as I'm concerned. The policies wouldn't really change either way, and I want the administration to continue appearing ill-tempered and sclerotic in the public's eyes. I don't want the Bushies to get a new lease on life -- I don't want to see Diane Sawyer interviewing the new vice president of the United States and cheering her on with a "You go, girl!" while America cheers.

No comments: