Friday, July 02, 2004

No tolerance, please, we're Mississipians:

JACKSON, Miss. - The Mississippi Supreme Court has ruled that the First Amendment protects comments of a George County court judge who said he believed homosexuals should be put in a mental institution.

The Mississippi Judicial Performance Commission last year asked the Supreme Court to publicly reprimand and fine Judge Connie Glenn Wilkerson, citing him for judicial misconduct....

Wilkerson's remarks about homosexuals were published in a 2002 letter to the George County Times, a weekly newspaper in Lucedale.

In the letter, Wilkerson expressed his opinion about a California law that grants gay partners the same right to sue as spouses or family members.

"In my opinion, gays and lesbians should be put in some type of mental institute instead of having a law like this passed for them," Wilkerson said in the letter....

In 2002, the Mississippi Supreme Court amended the state's Code of Judicial Conduct to specifically call on judges to avoid "expressions of bias or prejudice," including demeaning remarks based on "sexual orientation."...


--story in today's Biloxi Sun-Herald (via AP)

Here's the letter:

Dear Editor:

I got sick on my stomach today as I read the (AP) news story on the Dog attack on the front page of THE MISSISSIPPI PRESS and had to respond! AMERICA IS IN TROUBLE!

I never thought that we would see the day when such would be here in AMERICA.

The last verse of chapter one of the book of Romans in our HOLY BIBLE is my reason for responding and sounding the alarm to this. You need to know as I know that God in Heaven is not pleased with this, and I am sounding the alarm that I, for one, am against it and want our LORD to see and hear me say I am against it.

I am sorry that the California Legislature enacted a law granting gay partners the same right to sue as spouses or family members. Also, that Hawaii and Vermont have enacted such a law, too. In my opinion, gays and lesbians should be put in some type of a mental institute instead of having a law like this passed for them.

I don’t know, but I believe if we vote for folks that are for this we have to stand in the judgment of GOD the same as them. I am thankful for our Legislators and pray for wisdom for them, on such unbelievable legislation as this. May GOD bless each one of them in JESUS CHRIST’s name I pray!

Thank you for printing this.


Connie Glenn Wilkerson


A woman gets mauled to death by a dog, her spouse-in-all-but-law sues, and this is the judge's reaction. And, of course, in today's story the judge says what they always say:

He said he didn't mean to offend anyone.

Yes, Judge, and you're dumber than a pile of dried muskrat shit. And, of course, I mean that in the nicest possible way.

No comments: