Monday, May 03, 2004

Classroom indoctrination in Broward County, Florida:

Three Hollywood Hills High School teachers have been ordered to stop using a survey after a complaint it was designed to persuade students to become Republicans.

The three teachers distributed the survey to 18-year-old students who were preparing to register to vote. Some students registered in school right after completing the survey.

The survey was titled, "What Political Party Do I Agree With?" It was written by Jose Roquett, who teaches government and economics, according to parent Scott Douglas and Broward Schools spokesman Joe Donzelli.

Students were asked whether they agree or disagree with a dozen statements, such as "We pay too much in taxes," "I am against abortions" or "We should be harder on criminals." If the student agrees with the statements, the survey says they are Republican....

Donzelli said 180 students were given the survey by Roquett and two other teachers....


--South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Something like this happened on a much larger scale in '72 -- classrooms across the country received election guides that had a pro-Republican bias. I got one in '72, when I was a 13-year-old McGovernite, and I knew it was fishy as soon as I read it. I later learned the Nixon campaign had a hand in distributing the damn things. (Wish I could find a link about that.)

No comments: