Friday, October 03, 2003

To look at something that's 20, 30 years old, that's just not fair and not relevant. If you have to go back to the '70s, '80s and '90s to make your point, maybe it's not a point.

--conservative San Francisco Chronicle columnist Debra Saunders, quoted in Howard Kurtz's Washington Post column today in response to charges that Arnold Schwarzenegger harassed women

I didn't believe Gennifer Flowers when she said she had an affair with Bill Clinton. I felt the burden of proof was on the accuser. Then I didn't even listen to her whole story because her accusation -- that they had an adulterous affair to which she had consented -- seemed so, well, cheesy. Then I read Clinton's own testimony and learned that he lied to the American people when he denied the affair. Now I believe Gennifer Flowers. (I still don't believe Clinton when he testified under oath that he only had sex with Gennifer Flowers "once.'') ... I believe Juanita Broaddrick's charge that Clinton sexually assaulted her in 1978. I don't believe Clinton's attorney's denial. I believe that this White House -- or Clinton's outside operatives -- will do everything possible to smear the reputations of women who tell the truth about Clinton....

--Debra Saunders, writing on February 26, 1999, in the San Francisco Chronicle (quoted here)

No comments: