Monday, February 03, 2003

Yet another story about the possibility that the U.S. will use bunker-busting nukes in Iraq.

(If you go to the link and you're asked for a member name and password, type clipjoint each time.)

This story says that computers will decide whether a target can be nuked "safely" -- that is, without release of radiation into the atmosphere. Yes, it says people will back up the computer. Somehow that doesn't reassure me, two days after we all saw that technology doesn't always work very well.

Look -- maybe the Bushies are just messing with Saddam's head. Well, we'd better hope so. At this point, I would actually be grateful for a bluff that would scare Saddam into exile. If there's a war, I'll be grateful if this nuclear saber-rattling prevents a chem/bio attack by Iraq.

But I don't trust this technology, and I don't trust this administration to take the risk of using it seriously.

No comments: